“Facelift for Connolly”

One of the first railway stations in Ireland, Dublin Connolly, commonly known as Connolly Station, was first opened to the public on 29th November 1844. Situated on the North bank of the River Liffey the station initially offered a single line through to Drogheda in the North. The station was extensively modernised and partially rebuild in the 1990 and now provides 9 platforms and is one of the three mainline stations run by Irish Rail which serves the city.

A new waiting room and ticketing facility has recently been opened inside the station which offers passengers a refuge on this notoriously cold station during the winter months. Constructed from Schüco Jansen profiles, the steel fire rated facade does not follow convention in its use of profiles. The main facade, which faces commuters arriving at the station, is angled towards the main platforms and the main mullions are installed at varying angles to offer a striking facade complete with green tinted glass.

Powder coating of all the profiles for the project was completed by specialist powder coater, Sprint Coatings. Both aluminium and steel profiles were used on the project which were coated together to ensure colour consistency by Sprint Coatings in their new coating facility in Ballycoolin, Dublin. The project was installed by KCC Architectural, formerly known as Skelly Opening Solutions.

Further information on the services being offered by Sprint Coatings, please visit their website at www.sprintcoatings.com or call their offices on 0 (+35) 3 1861 2988. Further information on KCC Architectural can be found on their website at www.kccarchitectural.com.